Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Summer Flowers

August has been described as the gateway to fall. Even though we are still in the full swing of summer, we experience those subtle reminders that summer's days are numbered. Here in the Intermountain West, ninety-plus degree days are on the decline, and the evenings become cooler. As we find ourselves now at the end of the month, the sun has not fully risen as of 6:30 in the morning, and we find the sun setting by 8:00 pm. 
Although some aspects of summer are fading away, I find that the colors of the annual flowers become deeper and richer in August and September. Perhaps it is more of my imagination, but I do enjoy these lingering colors as the countdown to the first frost of the season begins.
This post features another row. This one features the row that Sewing Seeds Quilt Company in New Ulm, Minnesota created for the 2014 Row x Row experience. The theme for 2014 was seasons, and they created a row that featured wool appliquéd flower baskets on reproduction-themed fabrics. Considering that this combination features some of my favorites, it was rather enjoyable to put together. The machine quilting was provided by Utah Valley Quilting. If you look closely, you can see some of the detailed flower motif in the corners of each block and the stippling around the flowers in each basket.
Here we have some avens,
Some daisies, 
Geraniums,
Clematis,
Poppies,
And, carnations.
For fun, I thought I would add a few pictures of some of the flowers in my garden. Each year, I plant a color border around our garden. I hope that you enjoy them. I am grateful for my husband's photography to be able to share them with you.






In light of the turmoil of recent weeks and the ongoing aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, I was hoping to provide some type of uplifting or encouraging words, but I seem to be at a loss. As Solomon reminds us in Ecclesiastes, there is a time for every event under heaven. Presently, it appears that we are in a time of mourning in light of what has been torn down. Perhaps these current events also remind us that our time here on earth is also but a season and that the deepest desire of our hearts lies elsewhere. I will close with King David's sentiments in Psalm 27.
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek;
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD
And to meditate in His temple.
Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment