Tuesday, February 28, 2017

February Fancies

Given that February is a rather short month, it seems only fitting that I close it out with a rather short post. Believe it or not, I did have good intentions of having both posts up by mid-month. 
I'll start off with a photo of a "make it and take it" heart that I created at K&H Quilt Shoppe in Kaysville, UT. The idea of a "make it and take it" is that the project is a small one that can be completed in in a rather short period of time. You just drop by the store at the designated time that the project is happening, pull up a chair and the materials, make the project, and take it home. This heart is only about 6 inches wide and can be used to accent a table or to serve as a "mug rug" or coaster. I had fun combining wool appliqué and embroidery techniques to create it.
This second project is actually one I created a year or two ago. This little wool mat is only about 9 inches across. The cats and hearts are made from wool scraps. They are one of the reasons I justify holding on to even small scraps from my varied wool projects. You never know just when you might need a piece the size of a quarter or even smaller.
 
If you look closely around the edge, you will see that the stitching in the border features a variegated thread. About the time I was working on this project, I was introduced to "twisted tweed" Valdani pearl cotton. Rather than just buy one ball, I opted to purchase a box with different shades and combinations of colors. They have been fun to incorporate into different projects.
Some of you know that we have a cat who we are rather crazy about - one might argue, against our better judgement. He is actually coming up on his eighth birthday - time definitely flies!
I said from the start that this would be a short post, and so it is. I hope that February has been a good month for you. Given that we associate love with February, I will close out this post with a definition of love, courtesy of the apostle John.
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment