Monday, December 21, 2015

Cheery Christmas Cardinals

Given that Christmas is fast approaching, this post will be a brief one. The quilt that I am featuring in this post is an "impulse buy." In early November of this year, I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a post from Anderson Fabrics, a shop in Blackduck, Minnesota, that I have visited on past Minnesota vacations. The post included a partial photo of this quilt. I was drawn to this quilt for a couple of reasons: it featured cardinals, my favorite birds, and rich north woods colors. I called up the shop and asked if kits were available. Fortunately, one was, and ordered it by phone.
This is a pattern that was relatively easy to put together. The fabrics that were included in the kit were from the Winter's Song fabric line from Moda fabrics. The pattern is from Antler Quilt Design. I was also very fortunate to find a local machine quilter who was able to complete the quilting for me. I chose an overall pattern that featured pinecones and pine needles. Here is what the back looked like.
Here are a few other close ups of one of the 4-block units and an individual block of one of the cardinals.
Although we don't see cardinals here in the Intermountain West, they are still my favorite bird. I think I am drawn to their cheery red color which provides  a lovely contrast to the white winter snow. They also have a distinct cheery call. 
If you look closely in this picture, you will see that my Christmas tree features a number of cardinals. In addition to the many ornaments we have accumulated through the year, the cardinals give our tree a bright "birds and berries" theme.
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and will share these same words of cheer that were first delivered to shepherds over 2000 years ago, but still are a message of cheer for all of us today:
Fear not: for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be unto all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment