Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sewing at Midnight

I thought I would use this posting to give a bit of a shout out to one of my favorite local quilt shops. K& H Quilt Shoppe has been open in Kaysville, Utah, for about a year now. The shop owners, Kaye and Heidi (hence the K&H), have worked hard to make the shop a success and to turn the shop into "a community gathering place" as reflected on their web page.

In addition to coming to the shoppe to buy fabric, patrons have the opportunity to participate in a number of classes that are offered throughout the week. With my work schedule, my opportunity to participate in weekday classes is rather limited. (On a positive note, I probably save some money that way). One of my favorite activities that the shoppe sponsors is the "midnight sew" or "quilt 'til you wilt" night that is held on the fourth Friday of each month. On these nights, individuals can bring their machines and whatever project they are currently working on and sew until midnight. For me, this is a great opportunity to make progress on my projects. The pictures below are blocks that will be included in Kyle's graduation quilt. Yes, graduation is just a week away; however, I'm further along on his quilt that I was on Darin's at the time of his high school graduation.

 










Most of the real fun of "midnight sew" nights isn't so much the work that gets done but rather the time to participate with other ladies who enjoy quilting and having a chance to get to know them and to enjoy seeing the variety of projects that they bring. Each lady has her own story, and each project has its own unique purpose.

In reflecting on the sense of community that develops at these sewing events, I am also reminded of the importance of community among the body of believers. Perhaps that is why the author of Hebrews encourages readers "… not to forsake our own assembling together…" I am so very grateful for the local bodies of believers who have encouraged and supported me in my own journey of faith through the years. These include the church where I grew up and was married, my campus ministry group during my college years where I received considerable mentorship, smaller churches in northern Utah and southern Idaho where I served as a student summer missionary, and finally my current home church. All of these have helped shape and support who I am today.

"… and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near."
Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment